Skip to main content

Augusta Arsenal Journal

Collection number: ahc.MSS855

Scope and Content

This collection consists of one journal of the Augusta Arsenal. Under the Unites States, the ledger includes an account of the early tarriffs on various goods, wages for camp people, including the wash women, budget of the post treasury, furloughs of soldiers, post orders, and other information about the general operating of the arsenal. Under the Confederacy, the ledger was used to keep inventory of the tools and contents at the arsenal including the Carriage Shop, the Carpenter Shop, the Horse Shoeing Shop, the Small Arm Laboratory, the Tin and Copper Shop, and the Field Laboratory. Also included are the receipts for items brought from other posts.


  • 1834-1866


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The United States Arsenal in Augusta, Georgia started keeping this journal on April 28, 1834. The arsenal consisted of a post, a camp, and magazines. The journal was kept current through 1854. When the Confederacy took over the arsenal in 1862, they used the same book by flipping it over and writing from the back to the front. The first Confederate entry was on Jun 3, 1862 and the last entry was for the U.S. Arsenal in 1866.


1 linear ft. (one container)



Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1995

Augusta Arsenal Journal
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at Atlanta History Center Repository

130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305