George Aristides Poulos papers
Collection number: ahc.MSS850
Scope and Content
This collection contains four financial ledgers of Poulos Soda Company and the successor business as well as the business license and other related records. Included are sales, purchases, and salaries with amounts in dollars. Column headings are in Greek.
- Poulos, George Aristides, 1891-1961 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
George A. Papanikolopoulos (1891-1961), name altered to Poulos by immigration, was born in Nedousa, Greece. He emigrated from Greece to the United States around 1905 and worked for James Brown as a salesman. Poulos started a soda fountain buisness, Poulos Soda Company, in 1911 at 9 Forsyth Street, Atlanta, Georgia, across from Rich's Department Store. In 1918, the city directory heading was for cigars and soft drinks. By 1919, the city directory listed the business as cigars. In 1922, he married Helen Mins, also an immigrant, originally from Greece, then living in Waycross, Georgia. Later the business grew into a diner and was informally known as "George's." A liquor license was obtained and the diner aspect was dropped in later years. When Mr. Poulos retired in 1960, the business was a liquor store. The Poulos had two children, Themis Poulos (born 1923), who married Howard Cramer in 1982, and George Aristides Poulos (born 1929).
2.83 linear ft. (2 oversize boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2013.
- Account books -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Accounting -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Bookkeeping -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Business records -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Diners (Restaurants) -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Immigrants -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Liquor industry -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Minis, Helen
- Poulos, George Aristides, 1929-
- Poulos, Themis, 1923-
- Soda fountains -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Stores, Retail -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Wages -- Accounting
- George Aristides Poulos papers
- Josh Hogan
- September 2013
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.