Atlanta Lesbian and Gay History Thing papers and publications
Collection number: ahc.MSS773
Scope and Content
This collection consists of papers and publications related to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgender (LGBT) community in Atlanta, Georgia. Series I includes gay and lesbian publications from Atlanta,the Southeast, and nationwide. Series II consists of business and organization papers pertaining to gay rights and AIDS. Series III includes personal papers of gay and lesbian activists in Atlanta and Georgia.
- 1957-2002, undated
- Dolan, Maria Helena (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Although it is assumed that Atlanta has always had a gay and lesbian population, the gay community did not become active politically and socially until after the 1969 Stonewall incident in New York City, considered a landmark in the gay rights movement. Since then, the gay community in Atlanta has organized itself into political and social organizations, becoming active in the city as a group. Additional historical information has not been determined.
63.1 linear ft. (59 document cases; 28 half document cases; 14 oversize boxes; 1 oversize folder; 2 cassette tapes)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged into three series: I. Publications, II. Organizations, and III. Personal Papers.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Audio recordings are on audio cassettes and can be made accessible only through conversion to digital audio. Patrons who request access to the audio content in this collection are responsible for digital conversion costs.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1994 with subsequent additions
This collection was reprocessed in 2014.
- AIDS (Disease) -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- AIDS (Disease) -- Prevention
- AIDS-related complex -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Associations, institutions, etc. -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- History
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Politics and government
- Atlanta Gay Center
- Etcetera magazine (Ga.)
- First Tuesday Association for Lesbian and Gay Rights (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Gay liberation movement -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History -- Sources
- Gays -- Political activity
- Gays' writings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Georgia -- Politics and government
- Homosexuality -- Law and Legislation
- Homosexuality -- Religious aspects
- Homosexuality and employment -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Lesbianism -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Lesbians -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History
- Lesbians' writings, American -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Male homosexuality -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- U. U. Lesbian and Gay Community (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Women -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta Lesbian and Gay History Thing papers and publications
- Laura Starratt, Andrew Young, and Josh Hogan
- November 2014
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.