East Lake Garden Club historical summary
Collection number: ahc.MSS763f
Scope and Content
This collection contains a history of the club written by Pauline C. Franklin, club historian. The history provides details of the club's civic and social activities for the first 25 years of its existence. Highlighted in the summary are the club's projects and neighborhood beautification work. Of special interest is the description of the club's involvement with Atlanta's flower and tulip shows.
- Franklin, Pauline C. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
East Lake Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was formed in 1934 for neighborhood beautification, furthering members' knowledge of horticulture and flower arranging, hosting flower shows, and providing service to organizations in the community. The club was a member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and was governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer. Among the club's charter members was Marie Nicholson, well known Atlanta tulip expert. Early civic projects included landscaping the East Lake Country Club and East Lake Park, both in the East Lake neighborhood of Atlanta. Many organizations were supported by the club such as the American Red Cross, Our Lady of Perpetual Help Home, and Lawson General Hospital. The club was one of ten clubs that formed the Atlanta Tulip Show Association and provided assistance to the Atlanta Tulip Show in the Municipal Auditorium in 1946. The club also hosted and participated in numerous flower shows.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2017.
- East Lake Garden Club historical summary
- Jennie Oldfield
- April 2017
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding aid is written in English.