Skip to main content

Atlanta Public Library documents

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS641f

Scope and Content

The Atlanta Public Library records include correspondence and newsclippings documenting the construction of the original library and the commissioning of a marble bust of Andrew Carnegie by sculptor Gaetano Trentanove. The records also include newsclippings regarding the controversy over the decision to demolish the original library building.

Dates

  • 1895-1970

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Atlanta Public Library was organized in 1899, as an outgrowth of the Young Men's Library Association of Atlanta. A donation from Pittsburgh steel magnate Andrew Carnegie financed the construction of a building located at Forsyth and Carnegie Way, which opened in 1902. This building was demolished in 1977 to permit the construction of new facility. In 1983 the system was renamed the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library.

Extent

1 folder(s)

Language

English

Title
Atlanta Public Library documents
Author
Paul Crater
Date
June 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040