G. Eric Harkness papers
Collection number: ahc.MSS1088
Scope and Content
This collection contains landscape plans, pamphlets, reports, and a directory that provide details on the career of G. Eric Harkness. Materials are from a variety of projects, including commercial, residential, and government clients. Pamphlets show a wide range of interests and topics from ornamental plants to city street planning.
- 1957-2006, undated
- Harkness, G. Eric (George Eric) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
George 'Eric' Harkness (1928-2010) was born in Ottawa, Carleton County, Ontario, in 1928 and married Ann Myers of Jenkins, Kentucky, in 1958. Harkness received a bachelor of science from McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, and a master of Landscape Architecture from Harvard School of Graduate Design at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1957. The Harkness' moved to Atlanta in 1961. After working for a private landscape architecture firm, Harkness was hired by the City of Atlanta Bureau of Planning in 1965. There he worked on city planning and urban renewal development projects until 1990. After retiring from his city position, he worked as an independent landscape architect on primarily residential projects. Harkness was a member of the American Society of Landscape Architects.
0.5 linear ft. (one document case)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically by client or project.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2016.
- Atlanta (Ga.). Bureau of Planning
- City planning -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- City planning -- Southern States
- Harkness, G. Eric (George Eric)
- Helen (Ga.)
- Landscape architects -- Georgia -- Atlanta.
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Landscape architecture -- Southern States
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Plants, Ornamental -- Georgia
- Urban landscape architecture -- Georgia -- Atlanta.
- G. Eric Harkness papers
- Jennie Oldfield
- May 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.