Peachtree-Cherokee Trust records
Collection number: ahc.MSS54
Scope and Content
This collection contains materials regarding the creation and management of the Peachtree-Cherokee Trust, the publication and promotion of Architecture of Neel Reid in Georgia by James H. Grady, and documents detailing the life and work of Reid. Papers include legal documents, correspondence, book reviews and publicity, financial records, research notes, articles, and clippings.
- 1963-1975, undated
- Peachtree-Cherokee Trust (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
On April 12, 1972, the Peachtree Garden Club and the Cherokee Garden Club came together to establish the Peachtree-Cherokee Trust, Atlanta, Georgia. They founded the trust in order to fund and organize a publication to commemorate the architecture of J. Neel Reid (1885-1926), a designer of many Atlanta and Macon buildings from the early twentieth century, before planned demolitions of his buildings in the coming years. Eight trustees including the presidents of the overseeing clubs (Mrs. Wylie Obenshain and Mrs. Harry Walsh) governed the trust. The trust commissioned James H. Grady, a professor at the Georgia Intitute of Technology, to write the book. A year later, in 1973, the trust published Architecture of Neel Reid in Georgia.
0.42 linear ft. (one document case)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was re-processed in 2015, with a subsequent addition in 2019.
- Architects -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Architecture, domestic -- Georgia
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- History
- Authors and publishers -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- Cherokee Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies, etc.
- Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration
- Historic preservation -- Georgia
- Peachtree Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree-Cherokee Trust (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Reid, J. Neel (Joseph Neel), 1885-1926
- Women -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies and clubs
- Peachtree-Cherokee Trust records
- Leah Lefkowitz and Jennie Oldfield
- November 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.