Skip to main content

West End Academy examination papers

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS536

Scope and Content

This collection consists of four bound volumes of selected examination papers. They include a range of subject material and are the product of students of various ages.

Dates

  • 1885-1891

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

West End Academy was established in 1884. The sale of one-half of a city block, bounded by Lee, Dunn, Gordon, and Zachary streets, provided funds for the construction of a two and one-half story frame building. Tuition for residents of West End or unincorporated Fulton County was lower than for the residents of the City of Atlanta. West End was an incorporated town at the time. On January 1, 1894, the town of West End was absorbed into the Atlanta City government. Shortly after this time, the upper grades of the Academy gave way to Girl's High School, Boy's High School, and Tech High School. The frame structure was replaced by Lee Street and Peeple Street Grammar School. Additional historical information about West End Academy has not been determined.

Extent

0.83 linear ft. (two document cases)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1984
Title
West End Academy examination papers
Author
Sue VerHoef
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040