Atlanta Urban Design Commission Photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS383
Scope and Content
This collection contains images of buildings and districts evaluated or nominated by the Urban Design Commission to receive Historic status. Notable sites include Atlanta City Hall, Carnegie Library, Citizens & Southern National Bank, the English-American Building, the Hurt Building, Martin Luther King Jr.'s birth home, Morris Brown College, Rockefeller Hall at Spelman College, Sacred Heart Church, and Underground Atlanta. Additional photographs include views of buildings along Alabama, Peachtree, and Pryor Streets and Plaza Way.
- Atlanta Urban Design Commission (Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
The Atlanta Urban Design Commission was established in 1975 by the City of Atlanta to designate properties and districts within the City of Atlanta as historically significant within the following categories: Historic Buildings or Sites, Landmark Buildings or Sites, Conservation Districts, Historic Districts, or Landmark Districts. They also evaluate proposed conservation or development projects proposed by or submitted to the City of Atlanta. As of 2020, they have over 60 properties and 16 districts under their protection.
74.0 image(s) (53 black and white photographs, 21 color slides)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements note
Some items in this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated by the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of item(s) before viewing material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was previously catalogued as UDC.
This collection was reprocessed in 2020.
- Alabama Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Apartments -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Atlanta City Hall (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Banks and banking -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Trademarks
- Buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Carnegie Library of Atlanta
- Church buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Citizens and Southern National Bank
- City halls -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Commercial buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- English-American Building (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Hamilton Howell House (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Houses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Hurt Building (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Libraries -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Martin Luther King, Jr., National Historic Site (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Morris Brown College (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Odd Fellows Building and Auditorium (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Plaza Way (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Sacred Heart Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Spelman College
- Underground Atlanta (Ga.)
- Underground Atlanta, Inc.
- Universities and colleges -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Villa (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Urban Design Commission photographs ahc.VIS383
- Finding aid prepared by Kate Daly
- March 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.