|Repository:||Atlanta History Center|
|Creator:||Phelps, Jo Crawford|
|Title:||Jo Crawford Phelps Photographs of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception|
|Quantity:||14 black and white negatives|
The Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the oldest Catholic Church in Atlanta, Georgia. A founding date for the parish (originally called “The Catholic Church”) has not been determined. The original structure was built on the corner of Lloyd Street and Hunter Street in 1848, but since that time, the street names have changed to Central Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, respectively. After suffering damage during the Civil War the parish built a new structure at the same location in 1869. The church was renamed on behalf of an oil painting of the Immaculate Conception that was hung behind the altar of the newly built church and dedicated as such in 1873.
This collection contains photographs of the exterior of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception taken one week after a fire which nearly destroyed the church.
This collection is in chronological order according to original film numbering.
[VIS 161], Jo Crawford Phelps Photographs of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, VIS 161, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center.
Gift of Jo Crawford Phelps in a work for hire partnership, 1982.
Collection processed in 2007.
This collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
|VIS 161.01||VIS 161.01 Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, undated ( 14.0 images )|