Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks
New Search | Return to Search Results

Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305. 404.814.4040. reference@atlantahistorycenter.com
Creator: Grant Park Woman's Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
Title: Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks
Dates: 1931-1949
Quantity: 2.5 linear ft. (9 scrapbooks)
Identification: ahc.MSS958

Biographical/Historical Note

The Grant Park Woman's Club was organized in 1930 and incorporated in 1936. According to the club's constitution, its purpose was to unite the influence and service of women in promoting educational, civic, social, moral, and cultural advancement of the community. Its motto was "Wisdom, Justice, and Moderation." Any woman interested in the purpose for which the club was organized was eligible for membership. The club met monthly on the third Friday, with most meetings having a program. In 1937, the club purchased a clubhouse, located at 602 Park Avenue. The club's active garden division participated in flower shows; other divisions included citizenship, public welfare, student aid, building and grounds, and safety. The Grant Park Woman's Club was affiliated with the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs, and thus supported Tallulah Falls School in Tallulah Falls, Georgia, Student Aid Foundation, and other organizations. Club members were active in both the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs.


Scope and Content Note

The Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks include nine scrapbooks, documenting the club's activities from 1931 through 1949. The collection lacks scrapbooks for the years 1933 through 1937 and 1945-1946. The scrapbooks, some of which are in poor condition, contain yearbooks, photographs, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and printed material. The printed material primarily documents the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs, as well as organizations and charities that the club supported. The best documented of the club's philanthropic activities is the Tallulah Falls School. Two of the scrapbooks are devoted entirely to the Garden Division of the Grant Park Woman's Club (1938-1939, 1940-1941), while another contains newspaper clippings concerning a conference of the General Federation of Women's Clubs in Miami, Florida, in 1939. While these scrapbooks provide an excellent overview of the club and its activities, they lack specific information on membership and individual activities.


Index Terms

Almand, Ed, Mrs.
General Federation of Women's Clubs
Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs
Grant Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
Heery, C. W., Mrs.
Lorish, Stacey Ann
Tallulah Falls School (Tallulah Falls, Ga.)
Women--Georgia--Atlanta--Societies and clubs

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Grant Park Woman's Club scrapbooks, MSS 958, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1999

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2013.


Restrictions

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.


Container List

 

Box

item

MSS OS Box 1.2921Scrapbook - Garden Division, 1938-1939
 
2Scrapbook, 1938-1939
 
3Scrapbook, 1946-1947
 
4Scrapbook, 1947-1948
 

Box

item

MSS OS Box 1.2931Scrapbook, 1931-1932
 
2Scrapbook, 1940-1941
 
3Scrapbook, 1942-1943
 
4Scrapbook, 1943-1944
 
5Scrapbook - General Federation of Women's Clubs Conference, 1949