Women's Chamber of Commerce records
New Search | Return to Search Results

Women's Chamber of Commerce records

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305. 404.814.4040. reference@atlantahistorycenter.com
Creator: Lathem, Helen Gore
Creator: Women's Chamber of Commerce of Atlanta
Title: Women's Chamber of Commerce records
Dates: 1952-1989
Quantity: 1.2 linear ft. (3 document cases)
Identification: ahc.MSS938

Biographical/Historical Note

The Women's Chamber of Commerce of Atlanta began in 1922 as the Women's Division of the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce. In 1937 it was restructured to form an independent organization devoted to making Atlanta a safer and more beautiful place in which to live and work. The organization grew significantly in ensuing decades, involving itself with numerous aspects of community improvement and business and civic development. Its overall objective is the advancement of the civic, cultural, commercial, educational, and health interests in Atlanta as defined by the business women of the community. The organization recognizes and encourages the prominent leadership role these business women have in the affairs of Atlanta and the state of Georgia. In 1967 the Women's Chamber began sponsoring the Atlanta Dogwood Festival, transforming the fledgling and irregularly-held event into an annual April production. The Festival attracts many visitors to Atlanta, thus having a positive impact on the economy and culture of the metropolitan area.


Scope and Content Note

The records of the Women's Chamber of Commerce of Atlanta have been divided into two series; series have been designated for Women's Chamber of Commerce and the Atlanta Dogwood Festival. The first series includes the charter, by-laws, and policies and procedures of the Women's Chamber of Commerce of Atlanta, as well as correspondence, newsletters, meeting literature, news clippings, photographs, and financial data. The records of the Atlanta Dogwood Festival include correspondence, programs, promotional literature and press kits, and news clippings. Although the records date from 1952 until the late 1980s, the majority cover the Chamber's activities in 1977 and 1978 and the Dogwood Festivals of 1973 and 1974, the years that Helen Gore Lathem was most actively involved with the organization and the Festival.


Index Terms

Associations, institutions, etc.--Georgia--Atlanta
Atlanta Dogwood Festival
Civic improvement--Georgia--Atlanta
Festivals--Georgia--Atlanta
Nonprofit organizations--Georgia--Atlanta
Women civic leaders--Georgia--Atlanta
Women's Chamber of Commerce of Atlanta
Women--Georgia--Atlanta--Societies and clubs

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Women's Chamber of Commerce of Atlanta records, MSS 938, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1990

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2013.


Restrictions

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.


Container List

 

Series I: Women's Chamber of Commerce, 1952-1987

Box

Fldr

11Charter, By-Laws, Procedures, Newsletters, 1952-1987
2Awards, 1973-1979
3Conferences and annual meetings, 1973-1986
4Correspondence, 1967-1977
5Correspondence, 1978
6Financial materials, 1975-1977
7Financial materials, 1978

Box

Fldr

21Meeting minutes, 1972-1978
2Meeting minutes, 1978-1979
3Membership directory, 1976-1977
 

Series II: Atlanta Dogwood Festival, 1969-1989

Box

Fldr

24Statement of purpose and literature, 1969-1979
5Planning materials, 1970-1971
6Planning materials, 1972-1973
7Planning materials, 1973
8Planning materials, 1973

Box

Fldr

31Planning materials, 1973
2Planning materials, 1974-1976
3Planning materials, 1977-1978
4Planning materials, 1978
5Planning materials, 1979-1989
6Programs, 1970-1972
7Programs, 1973-1978