Sandy Springs Garden Club records
New Search | Return to Search Results

Sandy Springs Garden Club records

Descriptive Summary

Repository: Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305. 404.814.4040. reference@atlantahistorycenter.com
Creator: Sandy Springs Garden Club (Sandy Springs, Ga.)
Title: Sandy Springs Garden Club records
Dates: 1947-1994
Quantity: 15.4 linear ft. (1 half document case and 11 oversized boxes)
Identification: ahc.MSS894

Biographical/Historical Note

The Sandy Springs Garden Club of Sandy Springs, Georgia, was founded in 1940 to "stimulate among amateurs the knowledge and love of native trees, plants, birds, and the engagement of civic planting." The club is a member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and is governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer. The club helped maintain a garden triangle at the intersection of Mount Vernon Highway and Roswell Road and also supported the Sandy Springs Community Council, the Hammond School, the Garden Therapy program at the Milledgeville State Hospital, and local area hospitals. The club has held a longtime interest in bird conservation and encouraged city wide participation in that cause. In 1965 the club landscaped the newly established Sandy Springs Branch of the Atlanta-Fulton County Public Library System and have continued to maintain the landscaping. Since 1966 the club has worked to preserve the site of the original springs for which Sandy Springs is named. In 1985 the club supported the move and restoration of the historic Williams-Payne House to Sandy Springs Circle at the site of the springs. The house served as a headquarters for the newly formed Sandy Springs Historic Community Foundation (later named Heritage Sandy Springs) in which the club was involved. The club hosts and participates in numerous flower shows, winning many awards.


Scope and Content Note

This collection consists of documents that provide a history of the social and civic activities of the club. Material includes photographs, correspondence, yearbooks, program announcements, and financial reports. Of special interest are scrapbooks that detail the club's work to preserve Sandy Spring's historic Williams-Payne House and the original springs natural area.


Index Terms

Atlanta-Fulton Public Library. Sandy Springs Branch.
Birds--Conservation--Georgia
Ferns--Georgia
Flower shows--Georgia
Gardening--Georgia--Sandy Springs--Societies, etc.
Sandy Springs (Ga.)--History
Sandy Springs Garden Club (Sandy Springs, Ga.)
Williams-Payne House (Sandy Springs, Ga.).
Women--Georgia--Societies and clubs

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

Sandy Springs Garden Club records, MSS 894, Cherokee Garden Library, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1996

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2016.


Restrictions

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.


Container List

 

Box

Fldr

11Finances, 1960-1969
 
2Memory garden, Sandy Springs Library, 1979-1980
 
3Project, "Birds - Our Heritage", 1976
 

Location

MSS OS Box 1.280Scrapbook, 1947-1949
 

Location

MSS OS Box 1.279Scrapbook, 1949-1954
 

Location

MSS OS Box 1.281Scrapbook, 1955-1958
 

Location

MSS OS Box 4.290Scrapbook, 1958-1959
 

Location

MSS OS Box 2.362Scrapbook, 1959-1960
 

Location

MSS OS Box 2.363Scrapbook, 1962-1964
 

Location

MSS OS Box 4.302Scrapbook, “Study of Ferns in Sandy Springs Area”, 1969
 

Location

MSS OS Box 2.364Scrapbook, 1969-1970
 

Location

MSS OS Box 2.365Scrapbook, 1983-1987
 

Location

MSS OS Box 2.361Scrapbook, 50th anniversary, 1940-1990
 

Location

MSS OS Box 2.366Scrapbook, 1989-1994