|Repository:||Atlanta History Center|
|Title:||Lawshe Family Papers|
|Quantity:||0.25 linear ft.|
|Quantity:||Extent: .25 linear ft. (40 items)|
Er Lawshe (1824-1897) was born in Union County, Pennsylvania on 27 March 1824. He moved to Atlanta, Ga. in 1848. He worked first as a cabinet maker and later opened a jewelry shop. He married Sarah Winifred Peck (1835-1894) in Atlanta on 8 August 1854. With the beginning of the Civil War, Lawshe received a Captain’s commission and served the duration of the war in the Confederate Army. He returned to Atlanta, where he was active in the First Methodist Church. He is recognized as one of the founders of Old Wesley Chapel. He was also an active Mason. Er Er and Sarah Lawshe had five children: three sons: John Zimmerman Lawshe (1856- 1927); William Peck Lawshe (1858-1892); and Er Lawshe, Jr. (1872-1947); and two daughters: Annie Lawshe Hardeman (1863-1951); and Margaret Lawshe (1866-?). John Zimmerman Lawshe married Willie James Elder (1869-1951) on 11 February 1891. They had one daughter, Martha (born 21 March 1892, died 20 August 1991). John Z. Lawshe graduated from Boy’s High and attended the New York Homeopathic College. He graduated in 1883 and returned to Atlanta to practice medicine. In addition to medicine, John also served as United States Marshall for the North Georgia district. Lawshe died on 16 May 1897.
This collection spans three generations of the Lawshe Family, the bulk of the materials concentrate on John Zimmerman Lawshe. Much of the attention is given to the personal activities of John Lawshe as a graduate of Boy’s High School and the New York Homeopathic College, and his activities as a Mason in Atlanta. Documents include the commencement program for Boys’ High, 23 June 1875; and copies of obituaries and death announcements documenting John Lawshe’s activities. John’s wife, Willie James Elder, and his daughter Martha were both active in the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Red Cross. Certificates and records of their activities are included in this collection. The collections, through copies of business cards, document the location of the Er Lawshe Jewelry Shop in downtown Atlanta.
Files are arranged in alphabetical order by titles supplied by staff
Lawshe Family Papers, MSS 235, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center
Gift of Miss Martha Lawshe, 1979 (1979.080, 1979.300)
Collection processed in 2007.
The collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
|1||1||Calling cards and miscellaneous invitations, 1884-1965|
|2||Certificates from Red Cross and Daughters of the American Revolution, 1912-1919, 1950|
|3||Commencement Programs, Girl’s High and Boy’s High, 25 June 1875|
|4||News clippings relating to Lawshe Family Xerox copy of Lawshe genealogy copied from family Bible, 1824-1951|