|Repository:||James G. Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center|
|Creator:||East Atlanta Primitive Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.).|
|Title:||East Atlanta Primitive Baptist Church Records|
|Quantity:||0.8 linear ft. (2 document boxes)|
East Atlanta Primitive Baptist Church (also referred to as East Atlanta Old School Baptist Church) was organized on December 18, 1875, when ten members brought letters of dismission from other churches in order to organize the new organization. Elders D. W. Patman, I. Hambry, J. G. Eubanks, W. H. Morgan, W. W. Carroll, and E. Webb were in attendance. The first sermon was given by Elder William L. Beebe who was the pastor from 1875 until 1884. The church closed in October 1988 when the church elders voted to disband, turning the church over to the Trustees of the Georgia Baptist Yellow River Association formed in Newton in 1824.
This collection contains record books, a financial ledger, and a one page history of the church as well as a Bible and a hymn book. There are four records books (1876-1988) that contain minutes of the church organization's regular meetings and annual lists of members. These record books also include information on founding members such as short biographies and assorted obituaries. The last record book also includes financial notes in addition to the minutes and rosters. The financial ledger (1945-1950) includes account transactions for the church and donations from members. Books in the collection include "giant print edition" of the King James Bible presented to East Atlanta Primitive Baptist Church and a small Primitive Baptist Hymn Book. The brief history of the church, written by Rachael B. Chandler, lists the pastors and clerks of the church and also describes how the church held communions and the procedures of foot washings.
Collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
East Atlanta Primitive Baptist Church Records, MSS 185, James G. Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center.
Gift of Rachael B. Chandler, 1989 (1989.159)
Collection reprocessed in 2011.
Collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
|2||Church History, 1989|
|3||Hymn Book, 1887|
|4||Ledger, Financial, 1945-1950|
|2||Minutes and Financial Notes, 1982-1988|