|Repository:||Atlanta History Center|
|Creator:||Atlanta City Brewing Company (Atlanta, Ga.)|
|Title:||Atlanta City Brewing Company Minute Book|
|Dates:||1876 – 1905|
In 1876, the Atlanta City Brewing Company was incorporated under the leadership of Egidius Fechter, Joseph Feishel and Emil Langgesser. It was located at the corner of Courtland (then Collins) and Harris Streets. The original wooden structure and equipment burned in 1880, and it was rebuilt on the same location of brick and stone over the original cellars. In 1892, the company began to market ice, as well, changing its name to the Atlantic Brewing and Ice Company. During Prohibition, the company changed its name once again to Atlanta Ice and Bottling Company and survived by selling ice and cereal beverages. With the repeal of the 18th Amendment, they resumed the brewing and selling of ales and beer. In 1935, the company was bought by the Chattanoogabased Southeastern Brewing Company, which changed the local company’s name to the Atlantic Ice and Coal Company. The company abandoned its brewing activity in the 1950’s. The brewery was demolished in 1955, and the cellars destroyed in 1973 when the current high-rise Atlanta Hilton was built.
This collection consists of a bound ledger containing the minutes of the meetings of the Atlanta City Brewing Company’s Board of Directors and Shareholders, and also periodic company financial statements during its first years of operation, 1876 – 1905. The minutes are written in long hand by the company secretary. The minutes of the board meetings concern election of officers, dividend declarations and operating proposals and decisions. The shareholder meetings concern review of the secretary/treasurer’s reports and election of board members. The periodic financial statements detail assets, liabilities and the net worth of the Company.
Atlanta City Brewing Company Minute Book, MSS 11F, Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center.
Gift of Abrams Books, Inc., 1968 (1968.128)
Collection reprocessed in 2007
This collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.