|Repository:||Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305. 404.814.4040. email@example.com|
|Creator:||Meriwether , Elizabeth, 1905-2000|
|Title:||Elizabeth Meriwether records of the Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission|
In the late 1930s, the idea to create a Fulton County Botanical Garden for Atlanta, Georgia, was proposed and supported by several organizations including the Atlanta Federation of Women's Clubs, the West End Businessmen's Association, and the Georgia Botanical Society. As a result of this effort, the Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission was formed in 1946 and made up of officers appointed by the Fulton County Board of Commissioners. The Commission was organized to help develop a proposed botanical garden for Atlanta in the vicinity of what is now known as Bakers Ferry Road SW, Martin Luther King Jr. Drive SW, and Fulton Industrial Boulevard SW. In 1938, the county allocated 459 acres for the botanical garden to be used for recreation, educational, and conservation purposes. County Commissioner Troy Chastain oversaw the early stages of development of the botanical garden, along with Claude Mills, superintendent of the garden; Eugene Schofield, president of the Georgia Botanical Society and surveyor of the property; and William L. Monroe, landscape architect of Monroe's Landscape and Nursery Company. The Works Progress Administration provided additional funding and manual labor. In 1945, part of the garden was dedicated to Atlanta servicemen and women and was known as the Memorial Forest. The botanical garden was never finalized and the Commission was disbanded in 1952.
Elizabeth "Betty" Meriwether, (Mrs. Charles Meriwether) (1905-2000) served as president of the Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission in 1952 and as secretary in 1949. Meriwether's mother, Roberta P. Little (Mrs. James R. Little) (1871-1947), served as Chairman of the Commission from 1946 until her death in 1947. Meriwether was a mother of two daughters, an active member of the Ivy Garden Club, and a teacher at the Lovett School in Atlanta, Georgia.
This collection contains correspondence, budgets, minutes, and a roster of members of the Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission. Correspondence includes discussion of the development of both the botanical garden and an airport in the same vicinity, now known as Fulton County Airport-Brown Field.
Elizabeth Meriwether records of the Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission, MSS 10f, Cherokee Garden Library, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center
This collection was reprocessed in 2013.
This collection is open for research.
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
|1||1||Fulton County Botanical Garden Commission records, 1946-1952, undated|